My Journey Through Grad School

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I'm Learning and Growing Everyday

So, during a rotation, students work in a lab for a number of weeks and in that brief period they have to try to envision themselves in that lab, get a feel for some of the projects and techniques in the lab and get to know the PI. Some how you have to determine if this lab is right for you? I haven’t reached that conclusion yet this is only the 1 of 3 rotations that I must do. But I will admit that starting in the summer was a really good decision…I’ve learned so much in the past two weeks …that I’m amazed at how at ease I am with the whole thing. I’ve pretty much settled in here at the school and at home. I’ve established a route that I feel comfortable with.

So, what is the lab working on well: the Hooper lab is working on several different projects such as the mechanisms behind Rabies infection in mice, spinal cord injury and lastly brain tumors all of which share a common thread the BBB better known as the Blood Brain Barrier. The BBB is a collection of cells (primarily endothelial cells) that essentially regulates the passage of certain substances from the blood into the central nervous system. Understanding the opening and closing of the barrier during infection, injury or cancer can help us to ultimately better treatments or repair lasting neurological or physical damage. After learning about the various projects in the lab I found the rabies studies the most intriguing because it allows me the opportunity to learn more about viruses and investigate the immune response post infection.

To my surprise, I was given the opportunity to develop my own project…and I will admit it was pretty intimidating but with some guidance from Dr. Hooper I’ve come up with a project that I am very excited about. Not to mention I get to isolate endothelial cells from the brains of mice…which is probably the most fun I’ve had so far! I yank out their small brains and out of that comes even smaller cells that I hope will help me to answer a few more questions about BBB permeability during rabies virus infections. Two weeks in and I’m loving it! (I sound like a McDonald’s commercial :( )

1 Comments:

  • Sounds really interesting! I'm glad that you are enjoying the lab and your new school.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home